- Students will use matrices to help visualize and describe linear transformations.
- Students will manipulate the input vector and observe the results of specific linear transformations geometrically.
- Students will generate output vectors.
- Students will characterize linear transformations in terms of vector magnitude and angles.
- linear transformation
- transformation matrix
About the Lesson
This lesson involves linear transformations from R2 to R2 represented by matrices. Note: R2 = R x R represents the set of all pairs of real numbers.
As a result, students will:
- Grab and drag the input vector and observe the effect of each linear transformation.
- Describe each linear transformation in words.
- Compute output vectors in order to confirm conjectures.
- Determine general properties of certain linear transformations.