- Students will use an interactive area model to multiply and divide positive decimals and mixed numbers.
- Students will use the distributive and commutative properties to multiply decimals and mixed numbers.
- Students will use the idea of division as an inverse operation of multiplication to divide decimals and mixed numbers.
- commutative property of multiplication
- distributive property
About the Lesson
This lesson involves using an interactive area model to solve multiplication and division problems with positive decimals and mixed numbers.
As a result, students will:
- Make connections between the geometric model and mathematical operations.
- Record their steps and observations on their worksheets.
- Randomly generate new numeric expressions.