- Students will use visual representations of fractions to estimate the area of irregular shapes.
- Students will use arithmetic operations with mixed numbers and decimals in a real-life context.
- mixed number
- rational number
About the Lesson
This lesson involves students tiling the floors of three bathrooms with provided tiles and determining the cost of the floor based on the unit price of each tile.
As a result, students will:
- Use fraction pieces of tiles to completely cover the floor of each bathroom.
- Calculate the total number of tiles used for each bathroom and represent their result as a mixed number.
- Use the provided unit price of each tile in order to determine the total cost of materials necessary to complete the bathroom flooring job.