- Students will use rational numbers to approximate irrational numbers.
- Students will use the number line diagram to estimate the value of square roots.
- rational and irrational numbers
- decimal approximation
- compound inequality
About the Lesson
This lesson involves estimating the values of two irrational numbers using a number line with increasing precision of scale.
As a result, students will:
- Estimate square roots by ‘zooming in’ on the values on a number.
- Find the rational upper and lower bounds for irrational numbers.
- Explain how to find better and better approximations of an unknown value.