- Students will be able to identify the effect of changing h and k on the graph of the quadratic function in the vertex form y = a(x - h)2 + k.
- Students will be able to identify the effect of a and b on the graph of the quadratic function in the standard form y = ax2 + bx + c.
- vertex form of a quadratic equation
- standard form of a quadratic equation
About the Lesson
This lesson involves manipulating the equation of a quadratic function so that its graph passes through a particular point. As a result,
- Use sliders to change the parameters in the quadratic equation and observe the changes to the graph.
- Use sliders to generate new random problems to repeat the exercise and consolidate the deductions.