- Students will utilize data in real-life applications of the quadratic function.
- Students will generate quadratic regression equations to model the relationship between two variables in a set of data.
- Students will interpolate and extrapolate values using their quadratic models for this real-life application.
- Students will write compound inequalities to describe the effect of various driving conditions on stopping distance.
- compound inequality
- quadratic regression equation
About the Lesson
This lesson involves analyzing data. As a result, students will:
- Compare stopping distance under normal driving conditions with stopping distance while talking on a cell phone or driving in wet weather.
- Generate quadratic equations to model the effects of different factors such as talking on a cell phone or driving in wet weather on stopping distance and compare it to the stopping distance under normal conditions.
- Utilize their quadratic equations to make predictions about stopping distance.