- Students will model a basketball’s flight through the air using a quadratic function.
- Students will analyze their quadratic function and interpret the parameters of the function in relation to the flight path of the basketball.
- Students will reason abstractly and quantitatively, model with mathematics, and attend to precision.
- Parent quadratic function
- Maximum value of a quadratic function
- Zero of a quadratic function
About the Lesson
In this lesson, students use a quadratic function to model the flight path of a basketball. Students will interpret the parameters of the quadratic model to answer questions related to the path of the basketball.
As a result, students will:
- Model data with quadratic functions
- Interpret the vertex of a quadratic function in a real-world context
- Determine a zero of a quadratic equation.
- Use a mathematical model to make predictions.