- Students will conduct simulations with multiple trials.
- Students will use relative frequencies to compute experimental probabilities.
- Students will informally explore the use of a simulation to observe long-run relative frequencies.
- Law of Large Numbers
- relative frequency
- experimental probability
- theoretical probability
- scatter plot
- connected scatter plot
About the Lesson
This lesson involves investigating simulations used to observe long-run relative frequencies.
As a result, students will:
- Simulate drawing blue and red marbles one at a time from a bag.
- Generate a scatter plot of the relative frequencies of blue marbles.
- Examine variations in the scatter plots generated by the simulations.
- Determine and discuss any consistent patterns or trends found in the results of these simulations.