- verify experimentally the properties of reflections about various lines.
- learn to identify and perform reflections.
- understand the effects that a reflection has upon a triangle by easily manipulating the triangle.
- explore the relationship between the corresponding parts of the pre-image and image triangles.
- explain how underlying properties relate to reflection.
- discover how to reflect figures about lines by hand.
- Line of Reflection
- Corresponding sides
- Corresponding angles
- Right angles
- Parallel lines
- Perpendicular lines
About the Lesson
This series of lessons exploring Reflections is designed to be a thorough first exposure to geometric transformations for middle grades and high school. They are designed so that the students investigate and discover the math in no more than 15 seconds.
To obtain the optimal results for your students:
- Always have students do the “Tour” activity first – before doing any of the other lessons. The Tour contains information that is needed to understand how to do the other lessons.
- Follow the sequence: Tour first, then Lesson 1, Lesson 2, etc. However, once the Tour is completed, the lessons can be done in any order.