- Students will develop a basic understanding of the polar coordinate system and locate points given in polar form.
- Students will convert points between polar and rectangular coordinates.
- Students will sketch graphs of polar equations.
- polar coordinates
- polar axis
- absolute value
- rectangular coordinates
About the Lesson
This lesson involves a brief introduction to the polar coordinate system.
As a result, students will:
- Determine the location (quadrant) of various points given in polar form.
- Recognize cases in which a point lies on an axis.
- Convert points between polar and rectangular form.
- Discover that the polar coordinates for a point are not unique.
- Sketch the graphs of polar equations.
- Use their calculators to check graphs sketched using paper and pencil.