- Students will determine and analyze an exponential model for the data involving carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
- Students will develop an improved model for this data by using the residuals associated with the exponential regression function.
- regression equation
- residual plot
- SSE = sum of the squares of the residuals (errors)
About the Lesson
This lesson involves modeling the amount of carbon dioxide in the air over a 12-month period.
As a result, students will:
- Analyze the shortcomings of an exponential regression function fitting the given data.
- Find an improved model by adding the original exponential function to one fitting the data in the residual plot of the original function.