- Students will describe the relationship between the unit circle and the sine and cosine functions.
- Students will describe the shape of the sine and cosine curves after unwrapping the unit circle.
- continuous function
- periodic function
- unit circle
About the Lesson
This lesson involves using a slider to change the measure of the central angle of a unit circle and making connections with right triangle trigonometry.
As a result, students will:
- Discover the relationships between the right triangle and the line segments creating the sine and cosine functions.
- Observe that as the measure of the central angle changes line segments representing the length of a highlighted leg of the right triangle in the unit circle appear on the screen.
- Need prerequisite knowledge of right triangle trigonometry and continuous functions.