- Students will model a curve from a picture on the graph screen.
- Students will apply the general equation of an ellipse whose center is not at the origin.
- Students will solve an equation of an ellipse in x and y for the variable y.
- general equation of an ellipse
About the Lesson
This lesson involves generating equations of best fit for an ellipse.
As a result students will:
- Be able to calculate values for parameters for the general equation of an ellipse from the graph of an ellipse whose center is not the origin.
- Create two functions to model the equation of an ellipse, one is the top half and the other is the bottom half of the ellipse.
- Verify that the equations do in fact closely model the actual path of a planet in orbit.