- Students will discover that the zeros of the linear factors are the zeros of the polynomial function.
- Students will discover that the real zeros of a polynomial function are the zeros of its linear factors.
- Students will determine the linear factors of a quadratic function.
- Students will connect the algebraic representation to the geometric representation.
- Students will see the effects of a double and/or triple root on the graph of a cubic function.
- Students will see the effects of the leading coefficient on a cubic function.
- Double or triple root
- Leading coefficient
About the Lesson
This lesson merges graphical and algebraic representations of a polynomial function and its linear factors. As a result, students will:
- Manipulate the parameters of the linear functions and observe the resulting changes in the polynomial function.
- Find the zeros of the polynomial equations by finding the zeros of the linear factors.