- Students will understand relationships between the horizontal intercepts of two linear functions and the horizontal intercepts of the quadratic function resulting from their product.
- Students will understand relationships between the slopes of two linear functions and the orientation and width of the quadratic function resulting from their product.
- Students will understand when the product of two linear functions will not be quadratic.
- Students will explore the relationship between linear factors and the resulting cubic function.
- linear function
- quadratic function
- cubic function
About the Lesson
This lesson involves polynomial functions viewed as a product of linear functions.
As a result, students will:
- Manipulate linear functions to change the graph of their product to meet certain constraints.
- Make and test predictions about how the properties of linear functions affect the graphs of their quadratic or cubic product functions.