- Students will analyze data determined by a simulation involving tossing dice.
- Students will find and analyze exponential growth and decay functions.
- Students will model with mathematics.
- Students will try to make a connection with how to understand these topics in IB Mathematics courses and on their final assessments.
- exponential decay function
- exponential growth function
- doubling time
About the Lesson
This lesson involves using a simulation to generate data that can be modeled by exponential growth and decay functions.
As a result, students will:
- Apply this information to real world situations by fitting a function to data using simulation, regression and theoretical analysis, and analyzing properties of growth and decay functions (i.e. doubling and half-life).