- Students will determine and analyze an exponential model for the temperature of water as it cools.
- Students will make predictions about the time required to reach various water temperatures and about the water temperature at various times.
- exponential function
- regression equation
- sum of squares due to error
About the Lesson
This lesson involves creating an exponential regression equation to model the temperature of water as it cools.
As a result, students will:
- Learn how to adjust their equation to produce an equation that will better model the data.
- Adjust their equation to incorporate the fact that water will not get cooler than the temperature of the room..
- Use sliders to change the values of the variables a and b in their model to produce the smallest SSE (the Sum of Squares due to Error) value.