- Students will identify the effects of changing the sides and angles on the sine, cosine, and tangent ratios.
- Students will apply the properties of similar triangles to develop the definitions of trigonometric ratios in right triangles.
- Students will connect the terms sine, cosine, and tangent with appropriate ratios in a right triangle.
- Students will construct arguments and defend their reasoning with mathematical examples and counterexamples.
- adjacent leg
- opposite leg
- similar right triangles
About the Lesson
This lesson involves manipulating the angles and sides of a right triangle. As a result, students will:
- Observe the conditions under which the ratio does not change.
- Define the trigonometric ratios of sine, cosine, and tangent.