- Students will recognize that bivariate data can be transformed to reduce the curvature in the graph of a relationship between two variables.
- Students will use scatterplots, residual plots, and correlation coefficients of different transformations of bivariate data to determine which transformation is more effective at eliminating the curvature.
- Students will make predictions about the response variable using a transformed data model.
- bivariate data
- correlation coefficient
- exponential function
- least-squares regression line
- log transformation
- log-log transformation
- power function
- quadratic function
- residual plot
- square root transformation
About the Lesson
This lesson involves square root, semi-log, and log-log transformations of curved bivariate data using given data sets.
As a result, students will:
- Observe scatterplots, residual plots, and correlation coefficients of bivariate data.
- Transform data using square root, semi-log, and log-log transformations.
- Determine which transformation is more effective at reducing the curvature in the graph of two variables.
- Use the least-squares regression line based on the transformed data to make predictions.