- Students will sketch a graph that exhibits the qualitative features of a function that has been described verbally.
- Students will describe qualitatively the functional relationship between two quantities by analyzing a graph (e.g., where the function is increasing or decreasing, linear or nonlinear).
- Students will model mathematics.
- Students will attend to precision.
- increasing/decreasing function
- constant rate of change
About the Lesson
This lesson involves sketching graphs based upon important features described verbally in a situation.
As a result, students will:
- Focus on identifying important features that aid in drawing sketches of functions, such as:
- where the function is increasing, decreasing, or remaining constant;
- the slope of the function or parts of the function, and;
- the quadrants the function lies in.
- Use these same ideas to describe the functional relationship between two variables as they write their own situation for a partner student to analyze.