- Students will describe the relationship between the focus and the directrix associated with three types of conics.
- Students will define parabolas, ellipses, and hyperbolas by their focus and directrix.
About the Lesson
This lesson involves observing and describing relationships between the focus and the directrix of each conic: parabolas, ellipses, and hyperbolas.
As a result, students will:
- Manipulate the focus and the directrix of a conic to observe the relationships between the focus, the directrix, and the conic.
- Observe the effect of the relationship between the focus and the directrix on the shape of an ellipse or hyperbola.
- Define a parabola, an ellipse, and a hyperbola, by their respective focus and directrix.