- Students will determine the linear factors of a quadratic function.
- Students will connect the algebraic representation to the geometric representation.
- Students will discover that the zeros of the linear factors are the zeros of the quadratic function.
- Students will discover that the zeros of the quadratic function are the zeros of its linear factors.
About the Lesson
This lesson involves merging graphical and algebraic representations of a quadratic function and its linear factors. As a result, students will:
- Manipulate the parameters of the linear functions and observe the resulting changes in the quadratic function.
- Find the zeros of the quadratic function by finding the zeros of its linear factors.
- Solve quadratic equations by factoring and be able to explain why this process is valid.