- Students will understand how the Law of Sines is derived.
- Students will understand when the Law of Sines can be used to find missing sides and angles in a triangle.
- Students will be able to solve for missing sides and angles in a triangle using the Law of Sines, when appropriate.
- sine of an angle
- obtuse angle
- acute angle
- right angle
- Ambiguous Case of the Law of Sines
About the Lesson
This lesson involves exploring the relationship known as the Law of Sines.
As a result, students will:
- Manipulate a triangle to observe the equality of ratios of side lengths and sines of opposite angles.
- Manipulate a triangle to decide when the Law of Sines gives an unambiguous result.
- Consider the Law of Sines in connection with previous knowledge about right triangle trigonometry.
- Determine when the Law of Sines can be used to solve for unknown side lengths and angle measures in a triangle, and apply it to solve when possible.