Change the parameters of the logarithmic function y=a*log(b(x - h))+ k to discover that changes in:
- k result in vertical translations
- h result in horizontal translations
- a result in vertical stretches and compressions (dilations), as well as reflections across the x-axis
- b result in horizontal stretches and compressions (dilations), as well as reflections across the y-axis
About the Lesson
This lesson involves graphing logarithmic functions of the form y = a* log(b(x - h)) + k. As a result, students will:
- Manipulate given parameters and make conjectures about the relationships between the parameters’ values and the effects on the graph of the resulting logarithmic function.
- Test knowledge and determine the logarithmic function for a given graph.