- Students will identify the standard deviation as a measure of spread about the mean of a distribution.
- Students will recognize that the size of the standard deviation depends on the spread of the distribution.
- dot plot
- standard deviation
About the Lesson
This lesson is intended as an introductory activity to the concept of standard deviation.
As a result, students will:
- Manipulate a dot plot to obtain specified standard deviations.
- Examine different distributions with the same mean and range and note how the standard deviation changes.
- Gain a basic understanding of what standard deviation is measuring and how changes in data values affect the standard deviation.