- Students will create a piecewise linear function to model a method for shuffling a deck of cards.
- Students will apply composite functions to represent two or more shuffles of a deck.
- perfect out-shuffle
- perfect in-shuffle
- piecewise linear function
- composition of functions
About the Lesson
This lesson involves creating and using a composite function to describe certain ways of shuffling a deck of cards.
As a result, students will:
- Create a piecewise linear function to represent shuffling a deck of cards in a certain way.
- Compose a piecewise function with itself several times.
- Use a piecewise function and its composites to determine the number of shuffles needed to return a deck of cards to its original order.