- Students will analyze data represented in a histogram.
- Students will recognize that changing class width (bin width) and/or alignment affects the shape and spread of a distribution in a histogram.
- Students will interpret histograms displayed with frequency, percent, and density on the vertical axis.
- class alignment/bin alignment
- class width/bin width
- relative frequency
- skew (right or left)
About the Lesson
This lesson involves the interpretation of different types of histograms: frequency histograms, relative frequency histograms, and density histograms.
As a result, students will:
- Hover over a class/bin to determine the number of observations in that class/bin.
- Change the class/bin width by dragging the edge of the class.
- Compare the histograms with different settings including class/bin width, class/bin alignment, and y-scales.