- Students will predict and identify the shapes of two-dimensional cross-sections that are formed when three-dimensional figures are cut by horizontal and vertical planes.
- Students will draw, construct, and describe geometrical figures and describe the relationships among them.
- rectangular prism
- triangular prism
- square pyramid
About the Lesson
This lesson involves exploring the shapes formed from 3D figures cut by a horizontal and/or a vertical plane.
As a result, students will:
- Predict the outcomes of moving planes through 3D figures.
- Move a horizontal and vertical plane through the figure to check their predictions.
- Explain any similarities or differences they see in the shapes that are formed as the planes move through the figure.
- Determine what 3D figure was sliced. given a description of the shapes formed from slicing the figure both horizontally and vertically.