- Students will determine the solution of radical equations both algebraically and geometrically.
- Students will know why solutions to radical equations should be checked by algebraic solution for extraneous solutions.
- Students will establish the relationship between real and nonreal number solutions for radical equations.
- Students will be able to explain why squaring both sides of an equation can lead to extraneous solutions.
- radical equations
- real numbers
- extraneous solutions
About the Lesson
This lesson allows students to discover solutions of radical equations and investigate extraneous solutions. As a result, students will:
- Solve radical equations using handheld graphing technology.
- Solve radical equations using algebra and test the validity of the solution.
- Justify the solution(s) of a radical equation.