Solution 37315: Troubleshooting a TI-83 Plus or TI-84 Plus Family Graphing Calculator That Will Not Turn On or Function Properly.
What troubleshooting steps can I try if the TI-83 Plus or TI-84 Plus family graphing calculator will not turn on or function properly?
Please Note: Information on battery precautions and replacement can be found in the case entitled "Instructions for Replacing Batteries In a TI Graphing Calculator".
Please ensure that there are no buttons that are stuck down below the keypad.
- Remove all AAA batteries and reinsert them according to the polarity (+ and -) diagrams. Batteries are installed upside down, then right side up, then upside-down, then right side up, which may be different from other products. After reinserting the batteries press [ON].
- If the display appears blank after pressing ON adjust the contrast by pressing and releasing the [2ND] key followed by pressing and releasing [UP] arrow. Repeat a few times. Sometimes the calculator is actually ON but looks like it is not if the contrast is turned all the way down.
- Try a fresh new set of AAA batteries, all from the same package After replacing the batteries press [ON], if the calculator display is again not showing try to adjust the contrast (step 2).
- Remove one of the AAA batteries. Press and hold [CLEAR]. While holding [CLEAR], reinsert the AAA battery and press [ON]. The calculator should display the message "RAM Cleared". Release [CLEAR] and then press it one more time to remove the message.
- Remove one of the AAA batteries. Press and hold [DEL]. While holding [DEL], reinsert the AAA battery and then press [ON]. The calculator should display "Waiting...Please install calculator software now". Follow the instructions for the TI-83 family or TI-84 Plus family to reinstall the calculator operating system using either a Windows computer, Mac OSX computer or Unit to Unit.
- Remove all of the batteries including the round lithium battery for 5 minutes. After the 5 minute period, reinsert all of the batteries and turn the calculator on. Adjust the contrast if necessary (step 2).
Access the link following for detailed information regarding warranty coverage.
If the suggestions do not alleviate the problem, please contact TI-Cares for information regarding service.