- Students will explore the force two charges exert on each other.
- Students will observe how the force depends upon the magnitude of the two charges and the distance separating them.
- Students will develop the equation for Coulomb’s law using their observations.
- Coulomb (used as a unit)
- inverse square
- Newton (used as a unit)
- ratio of forces
About the Lesson
This lesson has students explore Coulomb’s law by manipulating the magnitude of two charges and the distance separating them.
As a result, students will:
- Observe that charges with like signs repel and charges with opposite signs attract.
- Relate the magnitude of the force the charges exert on each other to the product of the two charges and to the inverse square of the distance separating them.
- Develop the equation for Coulomb’s law.
This activity was created using Lua. Learn more about Lua in TI-Nspire here.