Solution 21390: Updating or Reloading the TI-Nspire™ Family Graphing Calculator Operating System
How do I update/reload the operating system of the TI-Nspire Family Graphing Calculator?
Please Note : If you experience issues connecting your TI-Nspire Family graphing calculator to the computer please follow the steps in Kbase#27430
Additional Note: In order to update the OS (Operating System) of the TI-Nspire family graphing calculator the latest version of TI-Nspire Family Software must be installed first.
Once the TI-Nspire family software has been installed you should be able to download the latest TI-Nspire family operating system by following the steps below.
1) For the TI-Nspire CX Family verify the calculator has a charge about 25% as a lower charge may cause it to have issue communicating with the computer.
2) For TI-Nspire Clickpad/Touchpad Family make sure there are fresh batteries in the calculator to be updated.
3) Download the latest TI-Nspire family OS from the link below that corresponds to your calculator model:
TI-Nspire CX II or TI-Nspire CX
TI-Nspire CX II CAS or TI-Nspire CX CAS
TI-Nspire with Touchpad or TI-Nspire with Clickpad
TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad or TI-Nspire CAS with Clickpad
4) Connect the calculator to the computer using the Standard A to Mini-B USB cable also make sure the USB cable is completely pushed into the TI-Nspire Family graphing calculator and computer because if it is not completely pushed in the computer will not detect it.
5) Make sure the calculator is powered on.
6) Launch the TI-Nspire family software
Please Note: Steps for TI-Nspire Computer Link are different please scroll down for steps for TI-Nspire Computer Link
7) Click [Window] [Content Explorer]
8) You should see you the calculator's name listed at the bottom right under [Connected Handhelds], [Double Click] your calculator name.
9) Next click [Tools] and [Install Handheld/Lab Cradle OS] and browse to the Operating System file you downloaded then click [Install OS]
10) The TI-Nspire family software will prompt for confirmation of the operating system update and display a message stating that "Any unsaved data will be lost". To continue the installation, click "Yes".
11) A window with the message "Installing OS" will appear.
12) When finished, a confirmation window will appear indicating that it is now safe to disconnect.
To reload the device’s OS using a computer with TI-Nspire Computer Link:
Please Note: The TI-Nspire Computer Link software does not work with the TI-Nspire CX II and TI-Nspire CX II CAS.
1) Open the TI-Nspire Computer Link software.
2) The select device dialog should appear, and detect the calculator, click[Select] after your calculator is detected.
3) Next drag and drop the OS file onto the TI-Nspire File Browser portion of the window, or click [Tools] [Install OS] then select the OS file using the browser window.
4) The TI-Nspire Computer Link will prompt for confirmation of the operating system update and display a message stating that "Any unsaved data will be lost". To continue the installation, click "Yes".
5) A window with the message "Installing OS" will appear.
6) When finished, a confirmation window will appear indicating that it is now safe to disconnect.
To update a TI-Nspire Family graphing calculator from another TI-Nspire Family graphing calculator, please follow the steps listed below:
1) Connect both calculators together using the Mini-A to Mini-B USB cable.
2) Make sure both calculators are powered on.
3) On the sending calculator, press [home]  [menu] [A].
4) The OS transfer should complete in 2 - 3 minutes.
5) When finished, if you wish to upgrade another calculator, disconnect the receiving calculator and connect the other calculator and repeat the steps.
Please Note: You can only transfer the OS from:
TI-Nspire CX II to another TI-Nspire CX II
TI-Nspire CX II CAS to another TI-Nspire CX II CAS
TI-Nspire CX to another TI-Nspire CX
TI-Nspire CX CAS to another TI-Nspire CX CAS
TI-Nspire with ClickPad or TouchPad to another TI-Nspire with ClickPad or TouchPad
TI-Nspire CAS with ClickPad or TouchPad to another TI-Nspire CAS with ClickPad or TouchPad
Please Note: It is not possible to update the emulator of the TI-84 Plus family keypad. The TI-Nspire OS has the TI-Nspire in TI-84 Plus mode OS update embedded in the overall OS load.