Solution 37295: Troubleshooting a TI-84 Plus CE or TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition That Will Not Turn On or Function Properly.
What troubleshooting steps can I try if the TI-84 Plus CE or TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition will not turn on or function properly?
Please Note: If your TI-84 Plus CE graphing calculator displays a “Validating Operating System…” message please instead refer to Solution 40446.
Additional Note: If your TI-84 Plus CE graphing calculator will not charge please instead refer to Solution 37152.
Please ensure that there are no buttons that are stuck down below the keypad.
Please Note: The resets described in the troubleshooting steps below may cause a loss of applications, programs, and data. If at all possible please backup all your files by copying data files and programs from your calculator to a folder on your computer using TI Connect CE™ Software.
1) Attempt to charge the calculator by connecting to a computer or wall adapter, if the calculator boots up check if the charge indicator displays a low charge, if it does let the calculator charge for a couple of hours. If the charge indicator does not increase after 2 hours or it will not stay powered on after disconnecting from the charging source please try the steps in Solution 37152: Troubleshooting a TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator That Will Not Charge
2) Check the reset button on the back of your handheld and make sure it is not pressed. If it is, use a solid object such as a paper clip to make sure it is no longer pressed. It is very important to not use an object that can leave behind debris, such as a pencil.
3) Press and hold the reset button on the back of the unit for at least 5 seconds.
4) Remove the battery door from the back of your handheld, disconnect the battery, leave disconnected for approximately 3 minutes, and then reconnect the battery.
5) Verify the USB cable is completely pushed into the TI-84 Plus CE and is a tight fit. If it is not completely pushed in the charger will not detect it.
6) Allow to charge for 1-2 hours.
As the last step, try to reinstall the calculator Operating System (OS). To do this follow the steps below:
1) (TI-84 Plus CE only ) While holding the [2nd] [Del] keys down, press and release the RESET button on the back of the calculator. The message "Waiting... Please Install Calculator Software" should appear. At this point, it will be necessary to reinstall the calculator's operating system.
2) Connect the calculator to the computer and verify the USB cable is completely pushed into the TI-84 Plus CE using a standard A to mini B USB Cable and it is a tight fit. If it is not completely pushed in the computer will not detect it.
3) Open the TI Connect™ CE Software
4) Turn the calculator on. Make sure the calculator appears in the TI Connect CE™ Software Content Panel in the TI Connect CE ™ Software, click on “Actions” and then “Send OS.” (Warning: Do not disconnect the cable during a transfer.)
5) Navigate to the OS file you saved on your computer.
6) Click “Open".
7) Alternatively, you may drag and drop the OS file you saved on your computer from your computer to your calculator in the “Calculator Explorer” workspace.
Please Note: If the above steps do not work and you are using a TI-84 Plus CE please try the steps in Solution 37116: Troubleshooting a TI-84 Plus CE Calculator that is Unresponsive.
Access the following link for detailed information regarding warranty coverage.
If the suggestions do not alleviate the problem, please contact TI-Cares for technical support and additional service options.