Solution 37295: Troubleshooting a TI-84 Plus CE or TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition That Will Not Turn On or Function Properly.
What troubleshooting steps can I try if the TI-84 Plus CE or TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition will not turn on or function properly?
The resets described in the troubleshooting steps below may cause a loss of applications, programs, and data. If at all possible please backup all your files by copying data files and programs from your calculator to a folder on your computer using TI Connect CE™ Software.
1. Attempt to charge the calculator by connecting to a computer or wall adapter, if the calculator boots up check if the charge indicator displays a low charge, if it does let the calculator charge for a couple of hours. If the charge indicator does not increase after 2 hours or it will not stay powered on after disconnecting from the charging source please try the steps in Solution 37152: Troubleshooting a TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator That Will Not Charge
If you are using a wall charger, make sure you are using a TI wall charger or other UL-certified USB charger rated for at least 1 amp (usually written as “1A” or “1000 mA”). To determine whether your charger is UL-certified, flip it over to the inside, and read the label. Look for the UL stamp, and confirm that it states that it is 1000 mA or higher.
You should also confirm the battery has not reached the end of its life. Usually, lithium-ion rechargeable batteries will last 2.5 to 3 years. If your rechargeable battery is at least 2.5 years old, it may be time to purchase a new TI Rechargeable Battery. For more information about your TI Rechargeable battery, including best care practices, please see Solution 33711: Best Care Practices for TI Products With a TI Rechargeable Battery
If it’s time to replace your battery, you can place an order for a TI Rechargeable Battery through the TI-Online Store at: https://epsstore.ti.com or by calling 1-800-TI-CARES (1-800-842-2737) Monday through Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. and Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Central Time
2. Check the reset button on the back of your handheld and make sure it is not pressed. If it is, use a solid object such as a paper clip to make sure it is no longer pressed. It is very important to not use an object that can leave behind debris, such as a pencil.
3. Press and hold the reset button on the back of the unit for at least 5 seconds.
4. Remove the battery door from the back of your handheld, disconnect the battery, leave disconnected for approximately 3 minutes, and then reconnect the battery.
5. Verify the USB cable is completely pushed into the TI-84 Plus CE and is a tight fit. If it is not completely pushed in the charger will not detect it.
6. Allow to charge for 1-2 hours.
As the last step, try to reinstall the calculator Operating System (OS). To do this follow the steps below:
1. (TI-84 Plus CE only ) While holding the [2nd] [Del] keys down, press and release the RESET button on the back of the calculator. The message "Waiting... Please Install Calculator Software" should appear. At this point, it will be necessary to reinstall the calculator's operating system.
2. Connect the calculator to the computer and verify the USB cable is completely pushed into the TI-84 Plus CE using a standard A to mini B USB Cable and it is a tight fit. If it is not completely pushed in the computer will not detect it.
3. Open the TI Connect™ CE Software
4. Turn the calculator on. Make sure the calculator appears in the TI Connect CE™ Software Content Panel in the TI Connect CE ™ Software, click on “Actions” and then “Send OS.” (Warning: Do not disconnect the cable during a transfer.)
5. Navigate to the OS file you saved on your computer.
6. Click “Open".
7. Alternatively, you may drag and drop the OS file you saved on your computer from your computer to your calculator in the “Calculator Explorer” workspace.
If the above steps do not work and you are using a TI-84 Plus CE please try the steps in Solution 37116: Troubleshooting a TI-84 Plus CE Calculator that is Unresponsive.
Access the following link for detailed information regarding
If the suggestions do not alleviate the problem, please
for technical support and additional service options.