Solution 33711: Best Care Practices for TI Products With a TI Rechargeable Battery.
How can I best care for my TI rechargeable battery?
Lithium-ion batteries have a limited life which is defined by several factors: environment, storage, the number of charge/discharge cycles, and level of discharge/charge.
To extend battery lifespan and battery life, we recommend following these simple guidelines:
1. Avoid heat and humidity:
- Batteries are designed to optimally operate at room temperature.
- Heat can reduce lithium-ion battery life.
- High humidity environments should be avoided.
- Keep TI calculators in a cool, dry place. As close to room temperature as possible is ideal.
2. Usage and Charging:
- As lithium-ion batteries age, they lose capacity. When properly maintained and under normal usage, batteries are expected to last about 3 years.
- Charge battery often and avoid waiting until full discharge.
- Do not leave the handheld connected to charging devices for periods longer than 3 days.
- Use only rechargeable lithium-ion batteries approved for the handheld.
- Use the calculator regularly and fully charge it at least once per month.
- If you are using a wall charger, make sure you are using the TI wall charger that came with your calculator or other UL-certified USB charger rated for at least 1 amp (usually written as “1A” or “1000 mA”). To determine whether your charger is UL-certified, flip it over to the inside, and read the label. Look for the UL stamp, and confirm that it states that it is 1000 mA or higher.
- If your rechargeable battery is at least 2.5 years old, it may be time to purchase a new TI Rechargeable Battery.
Please Note: If it’s time to replace your battery, you can place an order for a TI Rechargeable Battery through the TI-Online Store at https://epsstore.ti.com or by calling 1-800-TI-CARES (1-800-842-2737) Monday through Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. and Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Central Time
3. Storage tips for TI calculators with TI Rechargeable Batteries that will not be used for 3 or more months:
- The best temperature for proper care and storage of lithium-ion batteries is between 0-25° C/32-~77°F.
- Do not allow the TI Rechargeable Battery to be stored in a calculator for longer than 6 months without charging the calculator, or else deterioration to the lithium-ion cell may occur and reduce both battery life and capacity.
- Prior to storing TI graphing calculators, the units should be fully charged.
- It is ideal to store batteries disconnected or removed from the calculators before storage.
- If calculators are stored with the batteries engaged, they will discharge quicker and can become deeply discharged.
4. Update Calculator Operating System (OS) as new updates become available:
- Update your TI graphing calculator's OS as new releases become available. OS updates may contain new programs to optimize battery life.
5. Replacing a TI Rechargeable Battery:
- For Instructions on how to replace a TI Rechargeable Battery in a TI-Nspire CX calculator please click here.
- For Instructions on how to replace a TI Rechargeable Battery in a TI-84 Plus CE calculator please click here.