Solution 37152: Troubleshooting a TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator That Will Not Charge.
What can I do if my TI-84 Plus CE graphing calculator will not charge?
If you are having difficulty charging your TI-84 Plus CE graphing calculator, please follow these steps:
- If you are using a wall charger, make sure you are using a TI wall charger or other UL-certified USB charger rated for at least 1 amp (usually written as “1A” or “1000 mA”). To determine whether your charger is UL-certified, flip it over to the inside, and read the label. Look for the UL stamp, and confirm that it states that it is 1000 mA or higher.
- If charging from your computer, ensure that your computer is not in sleep or hibernation mode.
- Ensure that you are using the USB cable that came with the calculator.
- Ensure that the USB cable is fully inserted into the calculator. The port is designed to fit the USB cable tightly, and to withstand the pressure necessary to securely connect the USB cable.
- Press the reset button on the back of the calculator.
After following these steps, allow the calculator to charge for 1-2 hours, to see if it is now holding a charge.
- You should also confirm the battery has not reached the end of its life. Usually, lithium-ion rechargeable batteries will last 2.5 to 3 years. If your rechargeable battery is at least 2.5 years old, it may be time to purchase a new TI Rechargeable Battery. For more information about your TI Rechargeable battery, including best care practices, please see Solution 33711: Best Care Practices for TI Products With a TI Rechargeable Battery.
- If it’s time to replace your battery, you can place an order for a TI Rechargeable Battery through the TI-Online Store at: https://epsstore.ti.com or by calling 1-800-TI-CARES (1-800-842-2737) Monday through Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. and Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Central Time
If the calculator does not turn on after these steps, please do the following:
- While holding the [2nd] [Del] keys down, press and release the RESET button on the back of the calculator. When the screen turns on, release the [2nd] and [Del] keys.
- If the calculator turns on when the ON key is pressed, use TI Connect CE to transfer the Operating System to your calculator. If you have access to another TI-84 Plus CE calculator, you may transfer the Operating System from calculator to calculator. However, please ensure the OS on the calculator you are transferring from is version 5.1 or later. If the calculator has an OS earlier than version 5.1, update both calculators.
If the suggestions do not alleviate the problem, please contact TI-Cares for information regarding service.