Solution 37335: Troubleshooting a TI-89 family, TI-92 family or Voyage 200 Graphing Handheld That Will Not Turn On or Function Properly.
What troubleshooting steps can I try if the TI-89 Family, TI-92 Family or the Voyage ™ 200 graphing handheld will not turn on or function properly?
Please Note: Information on battery precautions and replacement can be found in the case entitled "Instructions for Replacing Batteries In a TI Graphing Calculator".
For any graphing handheld, please ensure that there are no buttons that are stuck down below the keypad. For the TI-Nspire™ family, please ensure that the reset button located on the back is not stuck down below the bottom case.
- Remove all AAA batteries (AA batteries on the TI-92 Family) and reinsert them according to the polarity (+ and -) diagrams:
TI-89, TI-89 Titanium: upside down, then right side up, then upside-down, then right side up
TI-92 Family: All 4 right side up
Voyage 200: Top row both left side up, bottom row both right side up.
- Press and release the [Diamond] key followed by pressing and releasing [+] key. Repeat a few times. Sometimes the calculator is actually ON but looks like it is not if the contrast is turned all the way down. To adjust or lighten the display, use [-].
- Try a fresh new set of AAA batteries, all from the same package.
- Turn the graphing calculator on and try to adjust the display contrast again if necessary, Press and release the [Diamond] key followed by pressing and releasing [+] key. Repeat a few times. To adjust or lighten the display, use [-].
Please Note: Users of the TI-89 Titanium or Voyage 200 should see the following case before performing the following reset procedure to prevent the loss of valuable data.
- On the TI-92 family or Voyage 200, hold [2ND] and [hand], then press and release [ON]. On the TI-89 family, press and hold [2ND] [LEFT] [RIGHT]; then press and release [ON]. This should reinitialize the operating system, in which you should see a progress bar filling on the screen.
- Remove one of the AAA or AA batteries. Press and hold [APPS], and while holding [APPS], replace the battery and press [ON]. TI-89, 92 Plus, or Voyage 200 users should see "Press I to install code...", and should press the  key. The calculator should then say, "Waiting to receive...". TI-89 Titanium users should see "Waiting to receive..." or "Waiting to receive OS...". You will need to restore the calculator's operating system.
- Remove all of the batteries including the round lithium battery for 5 minutes. After the 5 minute period, reinsert all of the batteries and turn the calculator on. Adjust the contrast if necessary.
Access the link following for detailed information regarding warranty coverage.
If the suggestions do not alleviate the problem, please contact TI-Cares for information regarding service.