An easy way to collect and analyze real-world data
The CBL 2 system, the second generation of the Calculator-Based LaboratoryTM system, is a portable, handheld, battery-operated data collection device for gathering real-world data. Data collected with a CBL 2 device can be retrieved and analyzed by TI graphing calculators. With the CBL 2 and appropriate sensors, you can measure motion, temperature, light, sound, pH, force and much more.
Over 50 sensors from TI and Vernier Software & Technology are available making the CBL 2 data collection device ideal for middle school math, science, biology, chemistry, physics and high school math. Students discover how math and science affect the world around them by developing hypotheses, conducting experiments and forming conclusions.
- Three collection modes (realtime, non-realtime, FastMode)
- Three buttons (TRANSFER, QUICK SET-UP, START/STOP)
- Three LEDs to indicate status (red, yellow, green)
- Built-in DataMate software
- Compatible with Vernier EasyDataTM software
- Three sensors included (TI stainless steel temperature, TI light, TI voltage)
- Three analog channels for data collection
- One channel for an ultrasonic motion detector, and digital input and output
- Built-in regression models and statistics features to analyze data
- Additional Vernier Software & Technology sensors available
- Data collection rate up to 50,000 samples per second
- Fits easily in one hand
- TI-9920 AC adaptor (sold separately)
- CBL DIN adaptor support for use with all other compatible sensors (sold separately)
Start exploring the world around you with the CBL 2 kit that includes:
- CBL 2 device
- TI stainless steel temperature sensor
- TI voltage sensor
- TI light sensor
- Calculator cradles (one for TI-83 family/TI-89/TI-73 ExplorerTM and one for TI-84 family/TI-89 Titanium/new TI-73 Explorer)
- Six-inch unit-to-unit link cable
- Teacher Guide containing experiments for science and math
- TI resource CD
- Four AA alkaline batteries
Get the latest software version
The CBL 2 uses FLASH technology, allowing you to upgrade to new software without buying a new CBL 2 device. As future software upgrades become available, you can download the software to your PC and then use the TI-GRAPH LINKTM cable to upgrade your CBL 2 device.
Upgrade to the current version of Vernier EasyData or DataMate Apps and increase the functionality of your CBL 2 so you can store multiple experiment trials, experiment set ups and other programs.
More info on latest software
Purchase TI-GRAPH LINK
Compatibility with TI-SmartViewTM emulator software
Connect the CBL 2 device to the TI-SmartView emulator software for the TI-84 family of graphing calculators to display data collection activities to the entire class. The CBL 2 can also be used with the TI-SmartView to capture key screenshots while collecting and analyzing data.
More on TI-SmartView
For TI-83 Plus and TI-84 Plus families
The Vernier EasyData graphing calculator application is pre-loaded on the TI-83 Plus, TI-84 Plus and TI-84 Plus Silver Edition. To optimize the use of Vernier EasyData App, download the latest operating system.
Learn more about Vernier EasyData App
Using a cradle, the CBL 2 device and your TI graphing calculator become one unit for portable, single-handed use. Your CBL 2 comes with two cradles, one for the TI-83 family, TI-89 Titanium and TI-73 Explorer, and the other one for the TI-84 family, TI-89 Titanium and the new TI-73 Explorer.
Purchase cradle for TI-84 Plus family and TI-89 Titanium
Scan the CBL archive for more useful math and science programs for your graphing calculator.
Go to the CBL archive (FTP)