- Students will explore and learn about the major components of animal and plant cells.
- Students will learn some of the differences between animal cells and plant cells.
- Students will learn the basic functions of animal and plant cell organelles.
About the Lesson
In this activity, students will be guided through tours of both animal and plant cells. Models of both types of cells are included in the lesson and both models are interactive for the students. Students "click on" several cellular organelles and the function of the organelles appears. Following each of the interactive cell models, students are assessed - either in a formative or summative manner - on the organelles.
As a result, students will:
- Learn the basic functions of the following animal cell organelles: nucleus, nucleolus, nitochondria, Golgi apparatus, ribosomes, lysosomes, rough endoplasmic reticulum, smooth endoplasmic reticulum, centrioles.
- Learn the basic functions of the following plant cell organelles: cell wall, nucleus, chloroplasts, nitochonrdia, vacuale, Golgi apparatus, rough endoplasmic reticulum, smooth endoplasmic reticulum.