2018 TI Codes Contest
Revision 1; March 29, 2018
Important: Please read these Official Contest Rules (“Rules”) before participating in the TI Codes Contest (the "Contest"). By participating in the Contest, you agree to be bound by these Rules and represent that you satisfy the eligibility requirements below.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
CONTEST DESCRIPTION: TI Codes Contest is a series of STEM-focused design challenges held in four separate competitive elimination rounds. Each round of the Contest presents a new challenge for teams to advance. Challenges include the creation of a Project proposal, then successive rounds to create Project Plans, models and videos. The team that advances through all four rounds, and then collects the most total votes by the end of the Contest Period can win TI graphing calculators of choice, TI #GenSTEM t-shirts, and TI-Innovator Rovers. The Adult Sponsor of the winning team can win a $250 Amazon gift card. In addition, one team randomly will be chosen to receive a TI graphing calculator of choice for each team member.
SPONSOR: The sponsor of the Contest is Texas Instruments Incorporated, acting by and through its Education Technology division (“TI”), with a place of business at 12500 TI Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75243, and with a website at http://education.ti.com.
CONTEST PERIOD: The Contest entry period will begin on March 20, 2018, at 9:01 am Central Time (“CT”) and will end on June 10, 2018, at 11:59 pm CT (the “Contest Period”). TI’s computer will be the official time keeping device of this Contest. All dates are expressed month/day/year.
ELIGIBILITY: THE CONTEST IS OPEN ONLY TO STUDENTS WHO AT THE TIME OF ENTRY ARE AGES 13-19, IN GRADES 6-12, AND ARE LEGAL RESIDENTS OF ANY OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES, THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, OR PUERTO RICO. Employees and their immediate families (parent, child, spouse or sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and those living in their same households (whether or not related) of TI, and TI’s affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies are not eligible to enter or win. By participating, Entrants agree to be bound by these Rules and TI’s decisions, which are binding and final on matters relating to this Contest.
HOW TO ENTER:
To enter the Contest, take the following steps before the end of the first round of the Contest, April 10, 2018, at 11:59 pm CT:
- Form a team and select a team name (maximum of five student members), then select an Adult Sponsor, such as a parent or teacher. The email address of the Adult Sponsor must be used to participate in the Contest.
- Click on the link for the Contest located at TICodesContest.com. You may reach this link directly at the education.ti.com website, or from posts on the Facebook and Twitter feeds of TI Education Technology, or posts on other Facebook and Twitter feeds, or banner advertisements on certain educator news outlets.
- Review the challenge prompts provided on the website. Create a team profile by completing the appropriate online form, and submit a description of the team’s proposed Project (about 2000 characters). A team that submits this form is a “Team Entrant”, and the individual team members are “Entrants”.
- At the end of the first round of the Contest, up to 100 teams will be selected by a team of TI Judges (“Judges”) to advance. Judges will evaluate team submissions based on the following criteria: (1) creativity or uniqueness of ideas (30%), (2) feasibility of producing a model of the ideas using TI technology (30%), (3) level of effort and experience with coding and/or TI technology (20%), and (4) clear desire to actually design and build the proposed models. Decisions by the Judges are final and binding and non-appealable (20%).
- Up to 100 teams advancing to the second round of the Contest will receive a Project Plan Packet via the provided Adult Sponsor’s email. This packet must be completed and returned via email to email@example.com by May 1, 2018, at 11:59 pm CT.
- At the end of the second round of the Contest, the Judges will use the Packet rubric to evaluate all Project Plan submissions. Up to 10 top scoring teams will advance. Decisions by the Judges are final and binding and non-appealable.
- Up to 10 teams advancing to the third round of the Contest will each receive one Supply Kit to build their model. A Supply Kit includes: a TI-84 Plus CE, or a TI-Nspire CX graphing calculator (team may choose), and a TI-Innovator Hub, TI-Innovator Hub Accessories (Breadboard Pack, I/O Modules, Ultrasonic Ranger Module, and External Battery), and a $50 Visa gift card to purchase miscellaneous supplies for building the model. Teams will build their model and create a video, less than 90-seconds in length, to show their model and explain their Project. Videos must be uploaded to a public YouTube account and link emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1, 2018, at 11:59 pm CT.
- At the end of the third round of the Contest, the Judges will select up to 5 teams to advance. Judges will evaluate team videos based on the following criteria: (1) successful functionality of the model (35%), (2) use of TI technology (30%), (3) visual appearance of the model (10%), (4) explanation and description of the model (10%), and (5) creativity of the video (15%). Decisions by the Judges are final and binding and non-appealable.
- Up to 5 team videos advancing to the final round will be placed on the Contest webpage. The ultimate grand prize winner will be selected by a public online vote on the Contest webpage. Anyone with access to the internet may vote for one video, once per day during the final round between June 5, 2018, at 9:01 am CT and the end of the Contest Period (June 10, 2018, at 11:59 pm CT). To enforce compliance with voting frequency rules, and protect against bots or other false voting mechanisms, all voters must enter their email address to validate their submission. Failure to submit an email address during voting will invalidate the vote. Email addresses collected during voting will be discarded at the end of the Contest Period and not used or shared by TI.
- The team video with the most votes at the end of the Contest Period will receive the grand prize package. The two team videos with the second and third most votes will receive runners up prize packages.
- All Team Entrants will be added to a random drawing to win the random drawing prize package.
Message and data rates may apply to the use of a mobile phone/device to participate in the Contest. You (or your parent/legal guardian if you are a minor in your jurisdiction of residence) are strongly advised to check your mobile phone/device carrier’s rate plan before attempting to participate in the Contest via use of an app. Wireless internet service may not be available in all areas.
Grand Prize: The Grand Prize consists of:
- TI-84 Plus CE (ARV $129) or TI-Nspire CX (ARV $168) graphing calculator for each team member (5 maximum)
- TI-Innovator Hub (ARV $64) and Rover (ARV $135) for each team member and Adult Sponsor (6 maximum)
- TI #GenSTEM t-shirts (6 maximum)
- $250 Amazon.com gift card to the Adult Sponsor for distribution at his or her discretion
Runners Up: The Runners Up Prize consists of:
- TI-84 Plus CE or TI-Nspire CX graphing calculator for each team member (5 maximum)
- TI #GenSTEM t-shirts (5 maximum)
Random Winner: One team will be randomly selected from a pool of all valid entries on June 10, 2018. The Random Team winning team will receive:
- TI-84 Plus CE or TI-Nspire CX graphing calculator for each team member and Adult Sponsor (6 maximum)
- TI #GenSTEM t-shirts (6 maximum)
Odds of winning are dependent upon the total number of valid entries; and the Runners Up and Grand Prize Winners are not eligible for the random drawing.
In the event of unavailability of a stated prize, TI reserves the right to substitute items of equal or greater value. Prizes are not transferable, exchangeable, or redeemable for cash. Reporting and payment of any federal, state, provincial, local, VAT, or other taxes, fees, customs, duties, insurance, or other amounts owed in connection with any prize are the sole responsibility of the winner(s).
EACH PRIZE GIVEN AWAY IS “AS IS.” TI DOES NOT MAKE, AND HEREBY DISCLAIMS, ANY WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, REGARDING ANY PRIZE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY IMPLIED OR STATUTORY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
The team name and submitted entries must NOT, in the sole discretion of TI:
- Have been licensed, published, distributed or publicly used or displayed by a commercial enterprise;
- Be used on social media or in any other published material if the team name contains material that, in the sole discretion of TI:
- Disparages any person, TI and/or any of TI’s affiliates’ products, competitors, or other companies;
- Violates or infringes upon the copyrights, trademarks, or privacy, property, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity not affiliated with this Contest;
- Includes brand names, copyrighted work or trademarks/logos that may infringe on rights of any third party not affiliated with this Contest;
- Is hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
- Promotes bigotry, racism, sexism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- Contains any personal identification, such as personal names or e-mail addresses;
- Promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or using the foregoing);
- Promotes any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous;
- Is unlawful or in violation of any law;
- Contains any nudity, sexually explicit, lewd, offensive, disparaging or other inappropriate content;
- Is unsuitable to be entered into this Contest; and/or
- Communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will which TI wishes to associate.
If your team submits a video, you represent and warrant (a) you shot/created the video; (b) the video is original to you and you are the owner of all right, title and interest in and to the video and have the right to grant the rights granted herein or, alternatively, you have obtained all necessary rights and permissions to use and submit the video in connection with the Contest and to provide all the rights specified in these Rules; (c) you have the unconditional right to submit your video pursuant to these Rules, and your video and the use thereof as contemplated herein does not and will not violate, misappropriate, or infringe upon any law or regulation or the rights of any third party, including, without limitation, any copyright, trademark, patent, or any rights of publicity or privacy, or any other intellectual property or proprietary rights; (d) your video has not previously been entered in any other contest or promotion sponsored by an education technology retailer, either online or in-store; or published for commercial purpose in any medium and (e) your video does not and will not violate any applicable laws, and is not and will not be defamatory or libelous.
SUBMITTED VIDEOS REPRESENT SOLELY THE VIEWS/OPINIONS OF THE ENTRANT AND DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS/OPINIONS OF TI. TI HAS NO OBLIGATION TO AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL LIABILITY IN CONJUNCTION WITH SCREENING, MONITORING, OR REVIEWING THE CONTENT OF SUBMITTED VIDEO.
WINNER NOTIFICATION/ VERIFICATION/ ACCEPTANCE:
On or about one (1) day after calculating is complete, TI will make up to two (2) attempts within three (3) business days to contact the Potential Winners via email, using the Adult Sponsor email address used for the submission. You should confirm that your email spam filters will permit email from TI and/or periodically check your junk email for email from TI.
Winner(s) must respond to the prize notification within the time specified in the notification and may be required to: (1) provide an email address; (2) provide his or her full mailing address to receive the prize(s); (3) upon TI’s request, sign and return a release of liability, declaration of eligibility, and, where lawful, a publicity release (signed either by Entrant, or if a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian) granting permission to use his/her name and likeness for advertising, and/or promotional and/or marketing purposes (without further compensation) (Tennessee residents need not complete and return a publicity release), and/or to comply with disclosure requirements under applicable law; and (4) take possession of the prize(s) in the manner specified by TI.
Noncompliance, failure to return any documents within the time specified, failure to respond to notification attempts or returns of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable will cause disqualification and an alternate winner will be selected using the criteria specified herein. Administrator will fulfill all prizes within 4-6 weeks of the end of the Contest Period. All decisions of TI relating to the Contest are final.
PUBLICITY: Each winner, by acceptance of the Prize, unless legally prohibited, grants permission for TI and their designees to use his/her name, address (city and state), photograph, voice and/or other likeness and prize information for advertising, trade and promotional purposes without further compensation, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide in perpetuity, without notice or review or approval.
LICENSE: By submitting an entry, each Entrant (or if a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian) acknowledges and agrees that if the entry is determined to be a winner, by acceptance of a prize in this Contest, each winning Entrant grants to TI and its licensees, sublicensees, successors, and assigns, the exclusive, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, transferable, sublicenseable right and license (including but not limited to, all intellectual property and proprietary rights) to use the entry in any manner and in all media now known or hereinafter developed (the “License”). The rights granted pursuant to the License shall also include, without limitation, the right to alter or edit the entry, and to make derivative works based on the entry. Entrant (or if a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian) agrees to sign any documents required by TI upon request to confirm such License.
IDENTITY OF ENTRANT: If a dispute occurs about the identity of an Entrant, entries will be declared/made by the Authorized Account Holder of the email address entered on the Entrant’s entry, and if a prize is won, it will be awarded to the email account owner. “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the natural person assigned to an email address by an Internet Access Provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that assigns email addresses.
GENERAL CONDITIONS: The decisions of TI are final and binding on all matters relating to this Contest without appeal. Except as determined by TI in its sole discretion, no substitution of a prize shall be offered and no transfer of the right to receive a prize to a third party is permitted, except by TI, who reserves the right to award a prize, or portion thereof, of equal or greater value. In no event will more than the stated number of prizes be awarded. Actual value of prize will depend on current market conditions during fulfillment, and any difference between the stated MSRP and the actual value of the prize will not be awarded, except at TI’s sole discretion. Prizes are awarded "AS IS" and WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, express or implied, including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Any guarantees and warrantees on merchandise prizes are subject to the manufacturer’s terms and conditions, and winners agree to look solely to said manufacturers for any such warranty or guarantee claim. All prize details are in TI’s sole discretion.
GENERAL LIABILITY: Entrants agree that TI (a) shall not be responsible or liable for, and you release TI from, any claims, losses, damages or injuries of any kind (including death, to persons, property) resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation in the Contest or any Contest related activity, or from acceptance, receipt, possession and/or use/misuse or inability to use a prize; and (b) to the maximum extent permitted by law, have made no warranty, condition, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, regarding a prize, including, without limitation, to such prize’s quality or fitness for a particular purpose. TI shall not be liable for any injury, damage, loss, expense, accident, delay, inconvenience or irregularity that may be caused or contributed to (a) by any wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission by any of their agents, servants, employees or independent contractors; (b) by any wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission by any other person or entity not an employee of TI, or (c) by any other cause, condition or event beyond the control of TI. Failure of TI to enforce any provision herein shall not be deemed a waiver of such. TI reserves the right to modify these Rules for clarification and/or administration purposes without materially affecting the terms and conditions of the Contest.
TI assumes no responsibility for computer system, phone line, hardware, software, third party sites, or program malfunctions or other errors, failures of any kinds, delayed computer transmissions or network, server, cable, satellite, Internet Service Provider (ISP) or other connections that are human or technical or other errors or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in the administration of the Contest, notification and announcement of the prize winners, or in any other Contest related materials. TI reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, suspend, modify or amend this Contest, in its entirety or in part, for any reason, including should virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or other causes corrupt the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper play of the Contest. TI is not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate registration information, whether caused by Internet users or by the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest, by any technical or human errors which may occur in the processing of the entries in the Contest, or for any technical or human errors which may occur during the administration of the Contest. TI reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual or team it suspects to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or entry process, or to be acting in a unsportsmanlike, disruptive, or illegal manner or in violation of these Rules and void all associated entries. TI also reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual or team it suspects is using any automated entry (e.g. any use of a bot), and any individual or team suspected or found to be: (1) submitting automated entries of any kind; (2) using software that automatically completes the challenges; or (3) engaging in any form of cheating or hacking will be disqualified.
TI is not responsible for entries that are garbled, late, tampered with, forged, incomplete, misdirected, lost, misplaced, stolen, delayed, damaged, inaccurate, undelivered, destroyed or otherwise not in compliance with these Rules, and all such entries will be void. If production, technical, seeding, programming or any other factors/reasons cause more than the stated number of prizes in these Rules to be available and/or claimed, TI reserves the right to award the prizes as stated herein via additional random drawings from among all eligible, legitimate, entries, at their sole discretion.
If any part of these Rules is determined to be invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, then the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed superseded by a valid, enforceable provision that most closely matches the intent of the original provision and these Rules shall continue in effect.
ANY ATTEMPT BY A PARTICIPANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE CONTEST OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, TI RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND COSTS (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, TI SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE CONTEST, HOWSOEVER CAUSED, WHETHER ARISING IN STATUTE, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND REGARDLESS OF WHETHER TI WERE ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, AND ALL SUCH DAMAGES ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED AND EXCLUDED.
TERMINATION: TI reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest at any time for any reason, including but not limited to any reason that affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest. Such reasons include but are not limited to fraud, tampering, unauthorized access, infections by computer virus, bugs, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of TI.
GOVERNING LAW AND JURISDICTION: The Contest and these rules and conditions shall be governed by the laws of the State of Texas, and any dispute arising out of this Contest shall be brought in, and each Entrant consents to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in, the Federal District Courts sitting in Dallas County, Texas. By entering this Contest, all Entrants agree that any disputes, claims, and causes of action relating to this Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action or other proceeding.
WINNERS’ NAMES: The winners’ team name, individual first name, last initial, city and state may be posted on the Contest webpage after the Contest Period.
To obtain a copy of these Rules or the name of the Prize winners, available after June 10, 2018, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to:
Texas Instruments Incorporated
Educational Technology Division
c/o TI Codes Contest
13532 N. Central Expressway
Dallas, TX 75243
Requests must be received by July 15, 2018