Solution 22151: Activating and Disabling Files on a TI-Nspire™ Family Calculator Using the Press-to-Test Feature.
How can I activate and/or disable Press-to-Test mode on a TI-Nspire family calculator so documents are not accessible during an exam?
To disable documents on a TI-Nspire family handheld so that they are not
accessible during an exam, the Press-to-Test feature must be used.
Please Note: Texas Instruments recommends all TI-Nspire family users update the handheld to the latest operating system.
To activate Press-to-Test mode via the handheld:
1) If the TI-Nspire family calculator is on, turn it off.
With the handheld off, follow the steps that correspond to your model below:
2a) Press and hold [Esc] and [Home] while holding both press [ON] and wait for the Press-to-Test menu to appear, once it appears release all keys.
TI-Nspire CX II, TI-Nspire CX or TI-Nspire Touchpad:
2b) Press and hold the [Esc] key and then press [ON] and continue holding both keys and wait for the Press-to-Test menu to appear, once it appears release all keys.
3) You can use [Tab] cycle through options to disable and use the center
touchpad [Click] to disable or re-enable options.
Please Note: (TI-Nspire CX II CAS Only) By default, CAS Mode is OFF
4) Once selections are made press [enter] to enable Press-to-Test mode.
TI-Nspire Family Teacher Software version 220.127.116.112 and above any connected TI-Nspire CX Family handhelds can be put into Press-to-Test using the steps below:
Please Note: If you have issues connecting to the calculator to the computer please follow the steps in Kbase#27430
Additional Note: All currently connected handhelds will restart, including any handhelds that are already in a Press-to-Test session. You cannot limit this action to a selected set of handhelds.
1) Click [Tools] [Prepare Handhelds] [Enter Press-to-Test]
2) Modify any options you wish to change then click [Enter Press-to-Test] then [Enter Press-to-Test] on the pop up window that appears.
To disable Press-to-Test mode:
You can disable Press-to-Test mode; by connecting the handheld to another TI-Nspire family handheld or by using the TI-Nspire family software.
To disable Press-to-Test mode using another
1) Connect the TI-Nspire family handheld to another TI-Nspire family handheld then follow the steps that correspond to your model below:
2a) On the handheld in Press-to-Test mode, press [home]  [ctrl] [home]  . Press-to-Test should now be disabled.
TI-Nspire CX or TI-Nspire Touchpad:
2b) On the handheld in Press-to-Test mode, press [home]  [doc]  . Press-to-Test should now be disabled.
TI-Nspire Family Teacher Software version 18.104.22.1682 and above can disable Press-to-Test on any connected TI-Nspire CX Family handhelds using the steps below:
Please Note: All currently connected handhelds will restart, including any handhelds that are already in a Press-to-Test session. You cannot limit this action to a selected set of handhelds.
1) Click [Tools] [Prepare Handhelds] [Exit Press-to-Test]
2) Click [Exit Press-to-Test] on the pop up window that appears.
Please Note: Additional information about the above feature, including steps to clear Scratchpad and modify settings can be found in the TI-Nspire CX Teacher Guidebook.
To disable Press-to-Test mode using TI-Nspire Family Student Software or TI-Nspire Computer Link:
To disable Press-to-Test mode, the TI-Nspire Family Software must be installed. After installing
the TI-Nspire family software:
1) Create a folder on the computer's desktop called “Press-to-Test” (name of the folder should be exactly as written, minus the quotations).
2) In that folder, download and save the attached TI-Nspire document called "Exit Test Mode.tns" (name of file should be exactly as written, minus the quotations. Some computers may try to save the file with underscores, (e.g. Exit_Test_Mode.tns). If this happens; replace the underscores with a space). This file is the only file that should be in that folder.
Please Note: Alternatively you
can download the attached "PressToTest(Windows).exe" or "PresstoTest(Mac).zip"
which you can double-click to create the folder and file you need for this
3) Connect the handheld to the computer using the USB cable and open the TI-Nspire Software.
4) Under Documents Toolbox, click on the Content Explorer icon.
5) Under Connected Handhelds click on the TI-Nspire handheld name.
6) Under Computer Section, Look in: Desktop to locate the Press-to-Test folder.
7) Drag and drop the folder onto the Connected Handhelds section.
8) The file will transfer and the handheld will automatically reboot.
9) The green light on the top will no longer be on and the handheld will be out of Press-to-Test mode.
Please Note: The Press-to-Test
feature also works with the TI-Nspire handheld's interchangeable TI-84 Plus
Keypad. Programs and Apps not allowed during testing will be temporarily
disabled and then restored after the exam. When the TI-84 Plus Keypad is
inserted, the Press-to-Test feature configures the TI-Nspire handheld just like
the TI-84 Plus family graphing calculators. For more information, please see the
Press-to-Test functionality on the TI-84 Plus family for more
Additional Note: You can also exit Press-to-Test mode by successfully receiving an OS upgrade (from another handheld or through computer software). Receiving the same OS version will not cause the handheld to exit Press-to-Test.