Solution 12003: Troubleshooting a TI-83 Plus Family or TI-84 Plus Family Calculator that Displays Garbage Collecting... for More Than 20 Minutes.
What can be done if a TI-83 Plus family or TI-84 Plus family calculator displays Garbage Collecting... for more than 20 minutes?
The garbage collection allows the cleanup of unused archive memory. It deletes unarchived variables from the user data archive and it rearranges the remaining variables into consecutive blocks. When a variable is unarchived, the Archive free memory amount increases immediately, but the space is not actually available until after the next garbage collection.
If garbage collecting is more than 20 minutes, the calculator has possibly locked up and will need to be reset.
The reset procedure will delete all the items that are in the memory of the graphing calculator.
Use the reset procedure
1) Remove 1 AAA battery.
2) Press and hold down the [DEL] key.
3) While holding down the [DEL] key, replace the AAA battery, and press the [ON] Key.
The message Waiting... Please install calculator software should appear. At this point, it will be necessary to reinstall the calculator's operating system.
1) Connect the calculator to the computer using the TI Connectivity Cable or
2) In Windows®, click on Start >> Programs >> TI Tools >> TI Connect >> TI OS Downloader.
In MacOS® X:
1) open Hard Drive >> Applications >> TI Connect >> TI OS
2) Follow the directions on screen to reinstall the calculator's operating system.
Access the link following for detailed instructions on how to complete the operating system installation.