- Students will map and describe the magnetic field around a permanent magnet or electromagnet.
- Students will determine the direction and strength of the force a magnet exerts on a current-carrying wire or loop.
- magnetic field
- magnetic permeability constant
- magnetic moment
About the Lesson
In this activity, students will investigate the relationship between magnetic field strength and distance.
As a result, students will:
- Develop a mathematical model of magnetic field strength.
- Use the model to calculate the magnetic moment of the field.