In this lesson, students will:
- Explore how the structure of DNA supports its semi-conservative replication
- Identify the name and function of several key enzymes in DNA replication
- Recognize the function of Okazaki fragments in DNA replication
- Double helix
- Lagging strand
- Polymerase III
- Base pairs
- Leading strand
- Polymerase I
- Okazaki Fragments
About the Lesson
Using three simulations, students will interact with DNA replication to explore semi-conservative replication and identify specific enzymes and their roles in replication. Assessments are embedded in the activity to engage discussion and gauge learning.
As a result, students will:
- Learn the basic functions of the following DNA replication enzymes: helicase, primase, ligase, polymerase I and III.
- Learn how the double helix reproduces in a semi-conservative fashion
- Learn the role and function of Okazaki fragments in replication of the lagging strand.