- Students will describe how different forces can be balanced.
- Students will relate the balance of a lever to torque on a wrench.
- Students will develop an understanding of torques as they relate to force applied at different angles.
- equilibrium torque
- force perpendicular
- lever arm
- rotational motion
About the Lesson
This lesson has students create situations where a simple lever is in balance.
As a result, students will:
- Understand that a lever is balanced by the product of the lever arm and the force.
- Compare a first class lever to a third class lever and explore the concept of torque.
- Develop equations for the relationship of perpendicular force and torque.