Calculator Options for Individuals with Visual Impairments
What calculator options are available for individuals with visual impairments?
Solutions for individuals with visual impairments may depend on the type of visual impairment that needs to be accommodated; blindness, low vision, or color deficiency.
The following solutions offer software emulators of Texas Instruments handheld calculators and talking adaptations of Texas Instruments handheld calculators. These solutions may make it possible for students with visual impairments to use the same calculator models and corresponding functionality as their peers.
TI-SmartView™ Emulator Software
TI-SmartView Software offers interactive on-screen emulators for various graphing and scientific calculator models from Texas Instruments. These emulators make it possible to have a large keypad and a large calculator display on a computer screen. The emulators offer “light”, “dark” and “outline” keypad selections for color and contrast choice. Calculator emulator key presses can be achieved via mouse clicks or QWERTY keyboard shortcuts. While these emulators do not offer screen reader or refreshable Braille support, they may offer solutions for individuals with low-vision or color deficiency when used with screen magnifiers and other assistive technologies.
- TI SmartView™ Emulator Software for MathPrint™ Calculators: this software offers emulators for the following scientific calculators from Texas Instruments.
- TI-30XS MultiView™
- TI-30XB MultiView™
- TI-34 MultiView™
- TI-SmartView™ CE Emulator Software for the TI-84 Plus Family: this software offers emulators for the following graphing calculators from Texas Instruments.
- TI-84 Plus CE
- TI-84 Plus
SmartPad App for TI-84 Plus CE: The emulator for the TI-84 Plus CE is compatible with a feature that makes it possible to control the emulator by way of the keypad on a handheld TI-84 Plus CE that is connected via USB cable to the computer. This feature is initiated by running an app called SmartPad that is found on TI-84 Plus CE graphing calculators or available for download.
TI-Nspire CX Software
TI-Nspire CX software offers an array of functionality that aligns with the latest models of TI-Nspire CX II handheld graphing calculators from Texas Instruments. The software makes it possible to view a large keypad and a large calculator display on a computer screen. The emulators offer “light”, “dark” and “outline” keypad selections for color and contrast choice. Emulator key presses can be achieved via mouse clicks or natural QWERTY keyboard input. While these emulators do not offer screen reader or refreshable Braille support, they may offer solutions for individuals with low-vision or color deficiency when used with screen magnifiers and other assistive technologies.
- TI-Nspire™ CX Student Software
- TI-Nspire™ CX CAS Student Software
- TI-Nspire™ CX Premium Teacher Software
Live Presenter functionality. TI-Nspire CX Premium Teacher Software includes a Live Presenter feature that enables a student to control the emulator through the keypad on a TI-Nspire CX II family handheld graphing calculator that is connected via a USB cable to the computer. This feature is initiated by a menu selection found in the software.
Note: The TI-Nspire family of Student Software is included in the handheld calculator retail package, but can also be purchased separately.
Orbit Research Talking Handheld Calculators
Orbit Research offers talking adaptations of Texas Instruments handheld graphing and scientific calculators that are specifically designed for use by students with visual impairments. These may be ideal for students who are blind or low-vision.
- Orion TI-84 Plus Talking Graphing Calculator - This model adapts a TI-84 Plus Graphing Calculator to offer
- Synthesized speech that reads out textual and symbolic information
- A choice of speech rates and voices
- Unique audio and haptic feedback for graphs
- Ability to output text as braille when connected to the Orbit Reader 20 braille display. Math expressions can be shown in either Nemeth code or UEB.
- Ability to connect to the Graphiti® Tactile Graphics Display, enabling graphs and other on-screen information to be displayed in real-time as tactile graphics
- Ability to connect to earphones for private listening
The Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired offers a selection of videos that feature how to use the Orion TI-84 Plus Talking Graphing Calculator.
- Orion TI-30XS MultiView Talking Scientific Calculator – This model adapts the TI-30XS MultiView™ Scientific Calculator to offer
- Full speech access to all menus, mathematical expressions, text, and symbols displayed on the screen
- Clear, high-quality recorded speech
- Key announcements when keys are pressed
- Comprehensive screen review
- Unique Learn mode for instantaneous key identification without interrupting operations
- Ability to connect to earphones for private listening
For detailed product information, visit http://www.orbitresearch.com/ or contact Orbit Research at 1-888-606-7248 Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET.
Orbit Research customer service email: email@example.com
BA II Plus Financial Calculator Apps for iOS
This iOS App combines the capabilities of the best-selling financial calculator from Texas Instruments – the BA II Plus™ – with the powerful functionality of the BA II Plus™ Professional. Using the iPad in portrait mode offers a large keypad and large calculator display which may provide a solution for individuals with low vision when used in conjunction with a magnifier.