Calculator Options for Individuals with Visual Impairments or Low Vision
What calculator options are available for individuals with visual impairments or low vision?
Solutions for individuals with visual impairments may depend on the type of visual impairment that needs to be accommodated: blindness, low vision, or color blindness.
The following solutions may make it possible for students with visual impairments to use the same calculator models and corresponding functionality as their peers.
TI-84 Plus CE Online Calculator with JAWS Screen Reader support
Much of the functionality of the TI-84 Plus family of graphing calculators is now more accessible to the vision-impaired using the TI-84 Plus CE Online Calculator, in conjunction with the JAWS screen reader software for Windows PCs.
Users can now experience text-to-speech for many of the popular functions of the TI-84 Plus CE calculator using their computer’s keyboard, or a connected calculator with the included SmartPad app* to control the online calculator!
Some popular features that are now enabled for text-to-speech include:
- performing calculations
- entering functions in the y= menu and tracing them on the graph screen
- calculating points of intersection, extrema, and other points of interest
- tracing stat plots, such as scatterplots and histograms
- performing matrix operations
- and much more!
For detailed information on compatibility, please see Solution 40453: Using the TI-84 Plus CE online calculator with JAWS screen reader for Windows PCs.
TI-SmartView™ Emulator SoftwareTI-SmartView™ Software offers interactive on-screen emulators for various graphing and scientific calculator models from Texas Instruments. These emulators make it possible to have a large keypad and a large calculator display on a computer screen. The emulators offer “light”, “dark” and “outline” keypad selections for color and contrast choice. Calculator emulator key presses can be achieved via mouse clicks or QWERTY keyboard shortcuts. While these emulators do not offer screen reader or refreshable Braille support, they may offer solutions for individuals with low-vision or color blindness when used with screen magnifiers.
- TI SmartView™ Emulator Software for MathPrint™ Calculators: this software offers emulators for the following scientific calculators from Texas Instruments.
- TI-30XS MultiView™
- TI-30XB MultiView™
- TI-34 MultiView™
- TI-SmartView™ CE Emulator Software for the TI-84 Plus Family: this software offers emulators for the following graphing calculators from Texas Instruments.
- TI-84 Plus CE
- TI-84 Plus
SmartPad App for TI-84 Plus CE: The emulator for the TI-84 Plus CE is compatible with a feature that makes it possible to control the emulator by way of the keypad on a handheld TI-84 Plus CE that is connected via USB cable to the computer. This feature is initiated by running an app called SmartPad that is found on TI-84 Plus CE graphing calculators or available for download.
TI-Nspire™ CX SoftwareTI-Nspire™ CX software offers an array of functionality that aligns with the latest models of TI-Nspire™ CX II handheld graphing calculators from Texas Instruments. The software makes it possible to view a large keypad and a large calculator display on a computer screen. The emulators offer “light”, “dark” and “outline” keypad selections for color and contrast choice. Emulator key presses can be achieved via mouse clicks or natural QWERTY keyboard input. While these emulators do not offer screen reader or refreshable Braille support, they may offer solutions for individuals with low-vision or color blindness when used with screen magnifiers.
- TI-Nspire™ CX Student Software
- TI-Nspire™ CX CAS Student Software
- TI-Nspire™ CX Premium Teacher Software
Live Presenter functionality. TI-Nspire™ CX Premium Teacher Software includes a Live Presenter feature that enables a student to control the emulator through the keypad on a TI-Nspire™ CX II family handheld graphing calculator that is connected via a USB cable to the computer. This feature is initiated by a menu selection found in the software.
Orbit Research Talking Handheld CalculatorsOrbit Research offers talking adaptations of Texas Instruments handheld graphing and scientific calculators that are specifically designed for use by students with visual impairments. These may be ideal for students who are blind or low-vision.
- Orion TI-84 Plus Talking Graphing Calculator - This model adapts a TI-84 Plus Graphing Calculator to offer
- Synthesized speech that reads out textual and symbolic information
- A choice of speech rates and voices
- Unique audio and haptic feedback for graphs
- Ability to output text as braille when connected to the Orbit Reader 20 braille display. Math expressions can be shown in either Nemeth code or UEB.
- Ability to connect to the Graphiti® Tactile Graphics Display, enabling graphs and other on-screen information to be displayed in real-time as tactile graphics
- Ability to connect to earphones for private listening
The Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired offers a selection of videos that feature how to use the Orion TI-84 Plus Talking Graphing Calculator.
- Orion TI-30XS MultiView™ Talking Scientific Calculator – This model adapts the TI-30XS MultiView™ Scientific Calculator to offer
- Full speech access to all menus, mathematical expressions, text, and symbols displayed on the screen
- Clear, high-quality recorded speech
- Key announcements when keys are pressed
- Comprehensive screen review
- Unique Learn mode for instantaneous key identification without interrupting operations
- Ability to connect to earphones for private listening
For detailed product information, visit http://www.orbitresearch.com/
BA II Plus™ Financial Calculator Apps for iOSThis iOS App combines the capabilities of the best-selling financial calculator from Texas Instruments – the BA II Plus™ – with the powerful functionality of the BA II Plus™ Professional. Using the iPad in portrait mode offers a large keypad and large calculator display which may provide a solution for individuals with low vision when used in conjunction with a magnifier.
Note: Texas Instruments worked with the blind/low-vision community to ensure our calculator options are accessible to those with visual impairments. While we continue to progress in making our technological solutions available for everyone, there may still be areas where we can improve. We welcome your feedback.