Solution 26350: Recommendation for Disinfecting TI Handheld Products.
How can I disinfect TI handheld products?
Texas Instruments is concerned about the health and safety of students using personal and school-owned calculators and recommends cleaning methods that meet CDC and WHO guidelines.
To disinfect a TI calculator in an effort to help prevent the transmission of a virus or other illness:
1. Use an alcohol wipe or “prep pad” of 70% or greater isopropyl alcohol (available at any general merchandise “big box” store or drug store) to wipe down the graphing calculator's screen, keypad, or back. Do not attempt to clean the inside of any ports.
Alternatively, you may put 70% or greater isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle, lightly dampen a lint-free cloth with the alcohol, and rub the calculator with the cloth. Do not spray any liquids directly onto a TI product.
2. Immediately wipe the calculator with a clean, dry cloth to remove any residue or film left by the alcohol pad.
- Avoid applying pressure to the screen/display.
- Keep foreign objects from penetrating the connectivity ports on the unit.
- Keep liquids from getting inside the calculator.
Texas Instruments has performed product testing of our calculator plastics, UV-cured inks, and paints to ensure these finishes can withstand gentle wiping with 70%-99% disinfectant alcohols without degradation of the product.
For recommendations on how to care for and store a TI calculator, please see Solution 19191: Graphing Calculator Care and Storage.