In this lesson, students will simulate, observe, and manipulate the variables that affect the results of DNA gel electrophoresis.
- Students will observe a time-lapse simulation of the process of DNA Gel Electrophoresis.
- Students will electronically measure the results of gel electrophoresis and then graph, and analyze these results.
- Students will discover the effects of time, voltage, and agarose gel density on the results of gel electrophoresis.
- DNA gel electrophoresis
- double helix
- restriction enzymes
About the Lesson
This lesson involves students using TI-Nspire technology to simulate, observe, and manipulate the variables that affect the results of DNA gel electrophoresis.
As a result, students will:
- Reinforce understanding of the structure of DNA;
- Understand the process of gel electrophoresis;
- Recognize the effects of time, gel density, and voltage on the outcome of gel electrophoresis.
This activity was created using Lua. Learn more about Lua in TI-Nspire here.