Change the scale factor (r) between similar triangles; identify the corresponding parts and establish relationships between them.
- Students will identify corresponding parts of similar triangles.
- Students will use the ratio of similarity to find missing measures in similar triangles.
- Students will relate the ratio of similarity to reductions and enlargements.
- scale factor (ratio of similarity)
- corresponding parts
- coincide; coincidental
About the Lesson
This lesson involves manipulating the scale factor (r) and observing changes in similar triangles; changing the ratio of similarity; and matching corresponding parts of similar triangles. As a result students will:
- Produce reductions, enlargements, and congruent figures.
- Compare corresponding angles and corresponding sides to be compared.
- Infer the relationship between ratio of similarity (scale factor) and the measures of the sides.