Dilate and reflect different types of function graphs by grabbing points.
- Students will explore how positive and negative leading coefficients in a function can dilate or reflect the graph of the function.
- Students will graph and analyze absolute value functions.
- Students will analyze the structure of a function and its graph to determine the value of a coefficient in the function.
- vertical dilation
- vertical stretch
- vertical shrink
About the Lesson
This lesson involves dilating and reflecting different types of function graphs by grabbing points. As a result, students will understand:
- How multiplying a function by a leading coefficient vertically stretches or shrinks a graph.
- How multiplying by a negative leading coefficient reflects the graph through the x-axis.