- Students will describe what “reactants” and “products” in a chemical equation mean.
- Students will explain the difference between “coefficients” and “subscripts” in chemical equations.
- Students will recognize that the number of atoms of each element is conserved in a chemical reaction.
- Students will balance a chemical equation.
- synthesis (combination)
- double replacement (precipitation)
- neutralization (acid-base)
- single replacement (oxidation-reduction)
About the Lesson
This lesson involves students using ChemBox feature of TI-NspireTM technology to practice balancing chemical equations.
- Students will use Edit mode of the activity to enter given reactants and products in a chemical equation.
- Students will use Balance mode for visual support necessary to balance a chemical equation.
As a result, students will:
- Reinforce understanding that the number of atoms is conserved in a chemical reaction
- Recognize the meaning of coefficients and subscripts in a chemical equation.